After the accident you must immediately report to Seesam, by filling in the claim form:
Not only the damaged vehicle, but also the vehicle having caused the accident must be presented to an expert appointed by the insurer, so the vehicle should be kept in its post-accident condition, and Seesam must be contacted.
A MTPL policy does not cover any loss incurred by the person who has caused the accident! Financial cover in cases when you are the person to be blamed for causing the accident is provided by a CASCO policy.
In case of a road traffic accident you should do the following:
- Stop the vehicle, turn on the emergency alarm and post the emergency triangle. At night time, please remember about the use of reflective vests.
- If any person is injured in the result of the accident, do everything possible to provide medical first aid. Call the ambulance by phone 113 or 112. Calling the ambulance specify the place where the accident has taken place, what has happened and how many persons are injured.
- If any person is injured in the result of the accident, or property of a third party has been damaged, or if more than 2 vehicles are involved in the accident, call the Traffic Police by phone 110 or 112.
- Before arrival of the Traffic Police officers, do not move the vehicle or touch any objects that are related to the accident; then follow the instructions of the Traffic Police officers.
- Write down the state registration number of the vehicle that has caused the road traffic accident; find out which insurance company has issued its MTPL policy and write down the policy data. It is desirable to take a photo of the vehicles involved in the accident, place of collision thereof and positioning of the vehicles on the carriageway.
- If no person is injured in the result of the accident, 2 vehicles have got damage and you can agree on the circumstances of the accident, you should fill in Accident Statement.
- In the scheme included in the Accident Statement you should show the position of the vehicles at the moment of the accident (collision) and not after the accident.
- It is compulsory to specify the circumstances of the accident (Paragraph 12)
- When drawing the scheme in Paragraph 13, include road signs and movement directions of the vehicles A and B.
- Before separation of the AS form sheets of paper, be sure that the Statement is signed by both parties and that the vehicle data are correct.
- After filling-in the Accident Statement, each party should submit its copy of the AS to the insurer of the vehicle having caused the accident.
Accident Statement is a set of forms, which consists of two identical forms, and an instruction sheet. It consists of fifteen paragraphs containing questions which should be answered by both of the involved persons.
Accident Statement forms can be obtained at the insurers or at larger petrol stations. It is desirable to always keep Accident Statement forms in the vehicle.
Accident Statement must be filled in by both drivers and the two drivers have to sign it. With the signatures it is certified that all the data recorded in the Accident Statement and the facts marked with a cross are correct.
Accident Statement can be filled in only in the case if:
- only 2 vehicles are involved in the road traffic accident;
- no persons are injured;
- no damage to third parties’ property is caused;
- vehicles involved in the road traffic accident have not got any damage due to which they are unable or are not allowed to continue their way;
- the drivers involved in the road traffic accident can achieve an agreement on all the significant circumstances of the road traffic accident.
- none of the drivers are under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substances
In all other cases, when more than two vehicles are involved in the accident, if due to the damage caused to the vehicles they can not participate in the traffic or if any person has been injured in the result of the accident, call the Traffic Police by telephone 110 or 112 and then you should act according to instructions of the police officers.
Prior to calling the Traffic Police, make sure that in the given situation it is not possible to complete the Accident Statement.
In cases where it is necessary to obtain information about the insurer of the vehicle to be blamed for causing the road traffic accident, it is advisable to contact the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Latvia or check the data personally:
- Browser of responsible insurer of a vehicle registered in Latvia;
- Browser of responsible insurer of a vehicle registered abroad.
If the third-party liability of the owner of the vehicle having caused the loss is not covered by insurance, or in other cases where the insurance indemnity is to be paid from the Guarantee Fund, the application regarding the insured event is to be submitted to any of the insurers, who is a member of the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) of Latvia, at the applicant’s choice.
If the road traffic accident has occurred abroad:
- In accordance with the laws and regulations governing the road traffic in the country where the accident occurred, the accident must be registered – you should report it to the police or to fill in the Accident Statement. We recommend always take photos of the accident circumstance, the other vehicle involved and its damage so that after returning to the home country, it would be possible to find out the responsible insurer.
- Registration data of the vehicle involved in the road traffic accident as well as its insurance company (including the policy data) should be obtained.
- If the accident occurred in one of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries, you should turn to the claim settlement representative in Latvia of the insurer of the person to be blamed for causing the traffic accident. You may turn also to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Latvia, where you will get information about the insurance company to which you can file a claim.
- If the accident occurred in one of the Green Card system countries, which is a non-EEA country, damages should be claimed in the particular country, from the insurer of the party to be blamed for causing the traffic accident. In Latvia, you can contact the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Latvia, where you will be given information on how to act and where to submit the claim.
All Seesam MTPL customers must always immediately inform the Seesam Claims Department about all road traffic accidents which have taken place both in Latvia and abroad, by sending written information to firstname.lastname@example.org or completing electronically on our website the Seesam MTPL customer notification of an accident. In case of questions you can call the day and night telephone number 67 06 10 00, or during the Seesam office opening hours – to the phone numbers 67 06 10 42, 67 06 10 61 or 67 06 10 56